One of Titanic's steam engines in Harland & Wolff's Engine Works, May 1911.
When she was launched, Titanic was the largest moving object built to date, so she needed some impressive machinery to power her. That power came from a combination of two reciprocating steam engines used to drive the port and starboard wing propellers, and a low-pressure steam turbine to drive the centre propeller. This was robust and proven technology, designed to deliver reliable service rather than set speed records.
The completed engines were first assembled in the Engine Work's Erecting Shop. They were then dismantled and the components taken to the fitting-out wharf, where they were installed in Titanic’s engine room.