The giant Arrol Gantry
Erecting the giant Arrol Gantry over the slipways for Olympic and Titanic
In 1908, an enormous steel gantry was erected over the two new slipways, Nos. 2 and 3, built for the construction of Olympic and Titanic. At 840 feet long by 240 feet wide, and with a height of 228 feet to the top of the upper crane, the new gantry could accommodate both ships.
It was equipped with a system of cranes and had four large electric lifts. Supplied by Sir William Arrol & Co. of Glasgow, the completed structure weighed almost 6000 tons.
The Arrol Gantry at Harland & Wolff was a dominant sight on Belfast’s skyline for many years. It remained in use until the 1960s.